Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Oops, I Twooted.

No, people, this is not a joke.

I was sitting in class today, discussing my idea for a future blog spectacular about why journalists need to understand Titter, I was informed by Kim Spencer of a new term: Twoot.

Now this caused some uproar for a few minutes for a few reasons. One, is the obvious. It sounds like toot. But upon deeper inspection, I have found that the term "Twoot" describes a tweet which is positive and celebratory of an event. The Urban Dictionary defines the term as such:

An interjection used to express happiness or joy about something announced through Twitter. It is a portmanteau of the words "Tweet" and "Woot/W00t".

An example of such a twoot may be: "OMG I totes asked Jim out and he said YES!  Woot/Twoot!"

As you can probably tell, this started a wave of google searches for new, unheard of names for certain types of tweets.  They include the "Dweet," or drunk tweet, "Mistweet," when a tweet is sent to the wrong person, and of course, the "Lweet," or love message.  If you need to catch up on your twitter vocabulary, check this article for a 66-word list of terms you need a journalist.

As is obvious from and article in the Washington Times, AP style has declared the use of the terms Twitter and Tweet acceptable for use in journalistic works.  Where do we draw the line people?

I refuse to Twoot all over my stories, period.

No comments:

Post a Comment